Sunday, July 28, 2019

Writing Problems

I've run into some problems while trying to write posts about the things I'm reading.

1. I feel compelled to catch up

I read recently finished Don Quixote and The Qualified Self, and I feel compelled to write out my thoughts about these books before moving on to what I'm currently reading, The Varieties of Religious Experience. What's more, I have so many thoughts about TV series I've watched this year--The Umbrella Academy, Stranger Things, as well as the Marvel Cinematic Universe. I've started at least 6 posts exploring these things, and it's just become too much.

2. I don't know what voice to write in

Sometimes the voice of my writing thickens with poetry, and sometimes it becomes boxy and academic. Other times, it seems oratorical and persuasive, and then suddenly it's journalistic or conversational. I'm not sure what voice to write in, and so I get stuck writing out my thoughts.

3. My perfectionism kicks in...

...and I labor fruitlessly over sentences and produce nothing.

So I need to change my approach. I'm going to forego catching up for now and leave what I've tried to write about the works I mentioned unfinished. I'll start over where I'm at in my reading. And instead of trying to write out entire essays, I'll try writing the thoughts that strike me.

My purpose here is to jump start the practice. I want to have a writing practice for all the reasons I explained in my last post, and I need to start small and let it take me where it will.

No comments:

Post a Comment